Introducing Olbas Oil Inhalant Decongestant
Olbas Oil Inhalant Decongestant is a mixture of essential plant oils used to relieve nasal and bronchial congestion caused by colds, the flu, sinus infections, allergies, and hay fever. It can be inhaled from a tissue or from vapour created by adding to hot water, or rubbed on the skin to reduce muscular pain. Directions for use vary with age.
Understanding Nasal Congestion During Allergic Reactions
During an allergic reaction to substances such as pollen, pet dander, or dust, your body produces a natural compound called histamine to combat the allergen. Histamine is released into various parts of your body, triggering allergy symptoms intended to eliminate the allergen from your system. When histamine affects your nasal passages, it can lead to swelling of the membranes lining the inside of your nostrils, resulting in a stuffy nose. This inflammation reduces the space available for mucus, causing a runny nose even when it feels congested.
How to Use Olbas Oil Inhalant Decongestant
Using with a tissue:
Adults and children over 12 years old:
- Day: Place 2 – 3 drops on a tissue and inhale the vapours.
- Night: Place 2 – 3 drops on a tissue inside a pillowcase for inhalation throughout the night.
Children over 2 years old:
- Day: Place 2 – 3 drops on a tissue and hold near, but not touching, the child’s nose for vapour inhalation.
- Night: Place 2 – 3 drops on a tissue in the bedroom, out of the child’s reach, for inhalation overnight.
Children between 3 months to 2 years old:
- Day: Place 1 drop on a tissue and hold near, but not touching, the child’s nose for vapour inhalation.
- Night: Place 1 drop on a tissue and position it in the bedroom, out of the child’s reach, for overnight inhalation.
Not suitable for children under 3 months.
Using with hot water:
Adults and children over 12 years oldr:
- Day: Place 2 – 3 drops in hot water and inhale the vapours.
- Night: Place 2 – 3 drops in hot water and leave in the bedroom for overnight inhalation.
Children over 2 years old:
- Day: Place 2 – 3 drops in hot water, allowing the child to inhale vapours or leaving it in the room, out of the child’s reach.
- Night: Place 2 – 3 drops in hot water and position it in the bedroom, out of the child’s reach, for overnight inhalation.
Not suitable for children under 3 years old.
As a rub:
Adults and children over 12 years old: Gently massage the affected area 3 times daily with the product.
Not suitable for children under 12 years old.
Contraindications and Warnings
Olbas Oil Inhalant Decongestant should not be used by individuals allergic to any listed ingredients. Seek advice from your doctor or a pharmacist if you are pregnant or breast-feeding or if you are taking blood-thinning tablets before you use Olbas Oil. Individuals with symptoms that worsen or fail to improve within 7 days should also consult a doctor or a pharmacist.
Possible Side Effects
Like all medications, Olbas Oil Inhalant Decongestant can have side effects, but not everyone will experience them. If the oil comes into contact with the skin, you may observe the following side effects:
- Allergic reactions, like skin rashes
- A brief stinging sensation
For more information on reporting side effects, refer to the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
Storage and Disposal
Store the product in a cool, dry place. Do not use past the expiry date printed on the packaging. Ensure it is stored out of the sight and reach of children.
Before taking this medicine, consult with your doctor or pharmacist if you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are taking other medications or complementary therapies. If symptoms worsen or persist after using this product, contact your doctor. For local medical services, visit https://www.nhs.uk.
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product. If you have any allergies, check with your doctor or pharmacist to ensure this medicine is suitable for you.
Always keep medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Be sure to read the enclosed leaflet carefully before using this product.
Contact your GP if necessary regarding this product.